6.27.2016

PHILIPPIANS: Joy

It has always been hard for me to believe Paul didn’t have favorites because of his letter to the church in Philippi. Compared to some of his other letters, the epistle to the Philippians reads like a gushing love letter to a group of his best friends. Paul has shown us his tough sides in some of his other correspondences. To the Galatians, he was astonished, perplexed, and furious. To the Corinthians, he was confrontational and prophetic, demanding his voice be heard as a voice amongst the apostles. But to the Philippians, Paul has nothing but joy in his heart.
I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.
Paul seems to go in and out of praise and encouraging exhortation; Paul will let his joy spill over into a charge for the Philippians to keep being all God called them to be.
And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.
Again, before the chapter is out, we find another round of praise and encouragement:
Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.
More joy, followed by:
Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you.
This exhortation flows into chapter 2, one of the better known passages of Philippians. Paul encourages them to have the mind and humility of Christ, who did not consider divinity something to be held onto, but was willing to become a servant. Paul encourages them to live lives that are worthy of such a master and imitate their teacher and Lord. He tells them to work out their salvation in fear and trembling and to do everything without grumbling and conceit. In a similar call to the one given to the Ephesians, Paul seems to be reminding them that if they don’t have love for each other, they will have very little to say to the world around them.


Paul then calls the church in Philippi to imitate him, as he’s asked so many of the other churches to do. He invites them to join him in rejoicing, no matter their circumstances. 

As far as the context to the church in Philippi, I am not aware of too many scholars who see the Philippian church as a huge and powerful body of believers. In fact, the Text would seem to suggest the opposite. This might not surprise us if we read about the church’s humble beginnings in the book of Acts. But it would appear that the body of believers here is small and possibly quite poor.

However, this does not mean they are a weak people. Consider Paul’s words in the last chapter:
I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid more than once when I was in need. Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account. I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
More joy from the Apostle! Paul speaks to them about having little and finding contentment, and he seems to hint at their current position and his amazement at their willingness to help — even when they lack. He recalls how other churches struggled to support his work. Even wealthy churches like the one in Corinth (you might remember we got to hear the other side of that coin [no pun intended]) seemed to be unwilling to give. But this body of believers has shared out of their own provision more than once. Paul brims with appreciation and healthy pride in the way they understand the Kingdom. He prays God will pour out His blessing on them for how they have been willing to bless others.

In the midst of all the harsh words and tough exhortations in Paul’s letters, I have always found the letter to the Philippians encouraging. My prayer has often been that I would do my part and belong to a body of believers who stands on their shoulders well. As we read about in Hebrews, may we remember that “only with us will their work be made perfect.”

No comments:

Post a Comment